AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at:www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
With a history of impressive growth, an innovative culture, and offering industry-leading solutions, Verisk Analytics is an amazing place to work and make a difference. In 2018, Forbes magazine named Verisk to its World’s Best Employers list and, in 2017, to its World’s Most Innovative Companies list for the third consecutive year. We also earned the Great Place to Work® Certification for the third consecutive year in recognition of our outstanding workplace culture.
Verisk is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services. Using advanced technologies to collect and analyze billions of records, Verisk draws on unique data assets and deep domain expertise to provide first-to-market innovations integrated into customer workflows. We’ve been delivering predictive analytics and decision support solutions to our customers for nearly 50 years, helping them protect people, property, and financial assets. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
At Verisk, you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create a positive and lasting impact on the business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. Our culture of innovation means your ideas on how to improve our business will be heard. As key contributors to our success, our team members enjoy working in a business-casual, collaborative environment that offers state-of-the-art resources, advanced technologies, and an excellent benefits package.
Become a member AIR’s Atmospheric Perils Vulnerability Team and join our growing Research and Modeling Department. Use your knowledge of Civil Engineering, Building Practices and Statistics to help develop models of extreme catastrophic events (i.e., hurricanes, tornadoes, storm surge, flood etc.) and assess building performance in the context of such events.
· Understanding construction practices, including code requirements and available construction materials and techniques for building and other special properties, e.g., wind turbine, power plant, transmission tower, etc., around the world; and help incorporating them in a cat modeling framework by developing vulnerability relationships for wind perils
· Investigate wind effects on buildings and other special properties, and their performance in windstorms
· Investigate property damage in the aftermath of actual windstorms, including statistical analysis of historical damage and insurance claims data
· Lead projects with little supervision and present findings in internal and external meetings
· Interact with other teams to conduct probabilistic loss assessment and modeling
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong background in construction practices as it relates to wind vulnerability, and in the effects of wind on structures
· Strong communication skills to convey findings to internal and external stakeholders, and
· Knowledge of probabilistic modeling of natural hazards and/or risk assessment and management
· Experience in programming and modeling using major computer languages (FORTRAN and/or C/C++)
· Experience in probability and statistics
· Competence in handling commercially available analytical software tools (MS Excel, MATLAB)
· 5+ years of work experience in a related field; cat modeling, engineering consulting or design
· Insurance industry experience is a plus
· Ph.D. or M.S in Civil Engineering, specialization in Wind Engineering is a plus.
About AIR Worldwide
The business of analyzing and managing risks from natural catastrophes, weather, and climate is growing rapidly and has proven to be immune to the economic slowdown that has affected other industries in the recent past. Become an integral part of a company that is well positioned to use its state-of-the-art technology to accelerate its growth within this market