Environmental - Codes and Standards, Environmental - Research and Development, Environmental Engineering
4 Year Degree
This opportunity will be responsible for creating Global Harmonized System (GHS) Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for US-manufactured products, obtain regulatory information from raw material suppliers and supply regulatory information to Michelman customers. This role will also serve as a back-up for our Singapore-based regulatory associate.
• Provide regulatory knowledge and experience required to create and publish GHS SDS for finished goods
• Provide knowledge and experience required to manage SDS database
• Responsible for maintaining integrity of raw material databases
• Manage compliance activities including, but not limited to: analysis of compliance characteristics for raw materials and finished goods, recordkeeping, and regulatory reporting
• Coordinate and fulfill internal and external customer requests for regulatory information
• Maintain WERCS Regulatory Database
• Perform regulatory analysis of new raw materials for use in manufacturing in US
• Perform evaluations of raw materials and finished goods for the purpose of determining chemical and environmental regulatory requirements
• Determine U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), International Air Transport Association (IATA) and International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) proper shipping names for raw materials and finished goods
• Determine NAFTA eligibility and generate NAFTA Certificates of Origin for finished goods
• Assist with activities required to comply with the GHS for product labels
• Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Able to self-imitate problem solving
• Be self-motivated on projects and duties
• Past regulatory experience creating Safety Data Sheets
• Working knowledge of 29 CFR (OSHA Hazard Communication standards)
• Past experience creating NAFTA Certificates of Origin
• Formal training in DOT, IATA and IMDG regulations
• Familiarity with GHS requirements
• Familiarity with SDS generation database (e.g., WERCS)
• Able to provide regulatory guidance to internal and external customers quickly and concisely
• Able to concurrently multi-task in a time sensitive environment
Education and Experience • Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in applicable field
• A minimum of 4 years’ experience in creating Safety Data Sheets, with an emphasis on US regulations.
• A minimum of 1 year experience in determining Hazardous Materials shipping classifications
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Normal office environment, but also requires working in a chemical factory environment
• Must be able to effectively wear PPE when required
• Able to travel by car and plane and visit a global base of customers and facilities
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Michelman does not employ individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
It is Michelman, Inc. policy to seek and employ qualified persons in all jobs in a manner which will ensure equal employment opportunity as well as administer personnel actions in a manner as to not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation or disability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functi...onal coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.