Provide regulatory knowledge and experience required to maintain current US domestic and Asian food contact regulatory requirements. Manage compliance activities including, but not limited to: analysis of raw materials and finished goods against pertinent regulations, recordkeeping and regulatory reporting.
• Manage the US and Asian compliance program in the context of a global product base
• Manage US and Asian food contact information relative to raw materials and finished goods
• Work pro-actively to assess future trends in food contact regulations and communicate impact on Michelman products and customers’ markets
• File Food Contact Notifications (FCN) as business dictates
• Understand and share best practices within the chemical industry and other industries and maximize best ideas within Michelman
• Work with legal firms as required to obtain opinions on various food contact related compliance issues
• Act as backup for European food contact requirements
• Manage Kosher compliance program
• Help sales staff to understand food contact regulations so that opinions can be confidently and accurately communicated to customers
• Provide internal training and/or information exchange on pertinent issues to appropriate departments as needed
• Attend appropriate conferences and training as required to perform primary responsibilities
• Coordinate the Product Center with raw material regulatory data so that technologists can confidently use this database in selecting raw materials for use in a research project.
• Responds to Health Canada issues and correspondence
• Perform other Regulatory duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Able to self-initiate problem solving
• Be self-motivated on projects and duties
• Proficient in standard business office software
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Able to make effective presentations to diverse groups
• Able to make interpretations of food contact regulations within the holistic environment of a business
• Proven ability to think independently and handle projects through to completion
• Working knowledge of 21 CFR and Asian food contact regulations
• Secondary knowledge of European food regulations
• Able to provide regulatory guidance around food contact and kosher compliance to internal and external customers quickly and concisely
• Able to concurrently multi-task in a time sensitive environment
• Able to provide recommendations on expenditures pertinent to food contact during budgeting.
• Able to manage and provide services within the construct of budgetary requirements to effectively leverage resources.
• Knowledge of global food contact regulations
Education and Experience
• Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science or science-related field
• A minimum of five (5) years experience in the food process, beverage, and chemical products industry, with an emphasis on food packaging applications
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Normal office environment, but also requires working in a chemical factory environment
• Must be able to effectively wear PPE when required
• Able to travel by car and plane and visit a global base of customers and facilities 5 to 10% of the time.
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
It is Michelman, Inc. policy to seek and employ qualified persons in all jobs in a manner which will ensure equal employment opportunity as well as administer personnel actions in a manner as to not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation or disability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functi...onal coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.