We are looking for an exceptional polymer or organic chemist to lead and commercialize Research and Development (R+D) projects and programs. Successful incumbent will be able to develop water-based products for the Printing and Packaging BU that will provide a clear competitive advantage for our commercial markets and are engineered to meet the needs of new and existing markets that align with the strategic business plan.
• Research and Development: Conduct R+D of water-based products and commercialize for the Printing and Packaging BU. Design multivariate studies of different formulations of a particular product for use as water-based coatings for use in packaging applications. Source and evaluate new raw materials and product improvements. Develop new products via bench work efforts. Interact with plant and Regulatory Affairs (RA) staff on new product scale-up. Evaluate developed product at customer's site.
• Customer Relationships: Develop and actively maintain external and internal relationships to share knowledge, promote technical leadership, process understanding and material performance. Provide technical assistance to the customers, production, marketing staff and sales
• Support: Develop and maintain intimate knowledge and understanding of product and project histories to participate and lead technical and business discussions. Support other chemists to solve research problems. Participate in business planning activities.
• Regulatory/Compliance: Work with RA team to learn, understand and properly follow policies and procedures that ensure compliance with regulatory agencies. Be knowledgeable of regulatory requirements (FDA, TSCA, International inventories, REACH) to support commercial activities. Actively participate in lab safety.
• Professional Associations: Maintain professional memberships, certifications and relationships.
• Manufacturing and Quality Control: With supply chain, develop and specify manufacturing and quality control procedures for new products. Supervise and implement the First Manufactured Batch process/scale-up trial runs. Assist supply chain as needed, e.g., disposition of obsolete raw material or finished product inventory.
• Business Relationships: Develop and actively maintain high level of focus with suppliers, customers/prospects and industry organizations and embrace focus throughout the organization.
• Design, conduct, (and may direct Assistant in) experiments of significant difficulty and then draw scientific conclusions.
• Monitor long-term stability of products
• Prepare coating substrates at lab bench and roll-to-roll gravure coater for samples for potential customer evaluation
• Analyze results of experimental studies, create reports and technical presentations
• Assist with scale-up from development to production quantities, in collaboration with plant production personnel
• Make broad recommendations with business impact for Michelman.
• Work within the entire Michelman organization to recommend ideas and approaches to current business strategy. Interact with suppliers and customers.
• Selectively participate in Michelman business teams and provide technical recommendations.
• Create, and carry new product families and new product platforms through scale-up and commercialization. Involve customer and supplier education.
• Develop novel products for the industry based on industry requirements.
• Apply broad scientific knowledge to develop novel products.
• Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including writing and presentation skills
• Good organizational skills
• Capable of conducting bench scale experiments and plant trials
• Good work ethic, analytical, observational skills, DOE experience is desirable
• Experience working in a team environment
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in polymer or organic chemistry, Ph.D. preferred.
• Relevant water-based technology, emulsion technology or water-based formulated product development
• Experience with print receptive coatings, barrier coatings, heat seal coatings and/or adhesives is considered as a plus
• Ability to understand polymer structure-property relationships
• Interest in process engineering
• Creative as demonstrated via publications, patents, etc.
• Experience in resolving customers' problems and needs, working closely with plant personnel during trials
• Experience with various types of physical testing and analytical equipment is helpful
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Job may require long periods of standing
• This position may also require one to lift items weighing as much as 25 kg/50 lb to a waist high level
• Work may also entail being in a manufacturing facility fairly frequently
• Able to work in a chemical laboratory environment and wear required PPE
• Able to travel by car and plane to visit customers and facilities
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functi...onal coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.