Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of sizings, lubricants, surface modifiers and functional polymers, Michelman adds value to composites product development and materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
Currently, we have a great opportunity available for a Group Technology Director to join our Industrial Manufacturing Group. This strategic leadership position will be located in our Blue Ash, Ohio global headquarters.
This dynamic leader will manage the Group Research & Development (R&D) team globally by driving the Technology Roadmap, in line with the overall Strategic Plan, and by leading next-generation technology development and product offerings. Collaborate with sales, marketing and production to achieve our ambitious growth targets. Represent Technology on the Group Leadership team and become the technology expert for the Group and our customers around the world. Responsible for design and execution of processes and procedures for effective innovation and direct the technical developments of new products in line with Michelman’s history of customer focus and service.
The Responsibilities of This Position Will Include
Research & Development
• Manage the portfolio of global business technology projects for product development by translating key business goals into defined projects over different time horizons. • Drive focused tech-push and market-back Technology development including plans for innovation, growth and intellectual property. • Enable step-change disruptive innovation initiatives in product and process development by leveraging the Industrial Manufacturing business strengths in development and formulation of a diverse set of technology and application capabilities.
People Development & Performance Management
• Live and Promote the Michelman Values through Leadership by Example. • Create a global team of experts that can support business growth in different regions with R&D and technical service support. • Ensure alignment around Technology development framework to allow virtual teams on different continents to work towards a common objective. • Establish Group performance accountabilities, and facilitate Work & Development Plan discussions.
• Develop, lead, and actively maintain external and internal relationships to share knowledge promote and demonstrate technical leadership to our customers and markets, process understanding and material performance. • Provide superior technical assistance to the customers, production, marketing staff and sales. • Develop and actively maintain a strong industry network with customers, consultants, co-suppliers, and industry leaders. • Develop relationships with external universities, national labs, value chain partners, open innovation partners and government research entities to drive R&D for the group.
Innovation Processes and Project / Portfolio Management
• Develop and manage different innovation processes including ideation, stage gate, technology roadmap, and portfolio management. • Identify and monitor appropriate KPIs for the Technology funnel to ensure that resources are deployed to tackle the largest opportunities for the Industrial Manufacturing business. • Drive disciplined use of project management tools and ensure rigor in managing different stages of technology development.
• Function as the Technology representative on the Group leadership team; develop, lead, and actively maintain high level / strategic discussions with suppliers, customers, prospects, and industry organizations. • Implement change to improve the business relationships.
• Participate in implementing Business and departmental plans to achieve the year-to-year and long-term objectives of the organization, focused on profitable revenue growth globally. • Establish and manage the Business Technology budget for salaries and expenditures (including Travel and Entertainment).
• Actively lead and participate in department, site, and corporate safety programs. • Serve as role model for all in safe practices and behavior.
• Set strategic direction of the Industrial Manufacturing technology infrastructure by leveraging global R&D resources; provide direction on business and technology matters that impact performance and strategy.
The Preferred Candidate Will Have
• Master’s Degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Polymer Science. MBA or specific formal business training desired. • 10+ years of Fibers, Composites, Emulsions, or Polymers relevant technical experience, either with material supplier to these industries (materials, fibers, polymers) or with a developer of composites technology. • 5+ years management experience in specialty chemicals or related industries. • Expertise in water-based emulsions technology and applications, utilized in relevant markets. • Global experience in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific with experience in building and leading global Technology teams. • Cultural awareness and sensitivity to lead teams in different locations while working cross functionally. • Management experience in: 1) Technology, R&D, and people development; 2) Global management of remote locations and staff; 3) Budgets, Travel & Entertainment; and 4) Performance management. • Excellent problem solving, organizational, and prioritization skills. • Excellent presentation, written and oral communication skills. • Able to perform financial calculations, create and manage budgets. • Additional language skills considered as a strong asset. • Proven ability to think independently and drive projects through to completion. • High levels of self-motivation, initiative, and interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Able to travel by car and plane and visit a global base of customers and facilities. • Ability to work in a team environment. Normal office environment. May be required to enter/work in a chemical plant environment. • Able to wear required PPE when necessary.
About Michelman Michelman is proud of its unique work environment that we have. We pride ourselves in our commitment to our values of integrity, respect and success. Selected candidate will have a rigorous onboarding experience with a continued commitment to technical and professional development. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a progressive, empowered team environment.
Relocation may be available, depending on candidate fit and capabilities commensurate with the role. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com.
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functi...onal coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.