Parking Planning/Development Review Urban Planner III
\"Preserving the Past, while Innovating our Future!\"
The City of Alexandria is located in Northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Parking Planning/Development Review Urban Planner III position.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
The Parking Planning/Development Review Urban Planner III will manage and support innovative parking projects related to policy, operations, pricing, and technology. In addition, this position will be responsible for coordinating the Transportation Planning Division's review and comments for new developments with other divisions and the Department of Planning and Zoning.
What You Should Bring
To be successful in this position, you should have experience with parking programs or knowledge of best practices and innovative parking and curbside management programs, reviewing development for transportation and public space impacts, and project management. You should understand the theory behind successful parking management, up-to-date techniques, and have a successful track record of implementing projects. In addition, you should have an understanding of urban design and traffic safety principles, as well as complete streets and zoning. Experience with public outreach and public speaking is preferable.
The Opportunity Parking Planning
- Implements parking management strategies City-wide, such as coordinating shared parking, improving wayfinding, managing parking meters or changes to parking restrictions, and evaluating and making recommendations on the city's garage pricing;
- Assisting with an update to the City's parking policies;
- Responding to questions from the Mayor, City Council, Traffic and Parking Board, Transportation Commission, and citizens related to parking issues;
- Coordinating with the City's Wayfinding Planner on parking related signage and potential real-time garage signage;
- Managing the City's motorcoach reservation system and responding to related issues;
- Monitoring valet parking programs for compliance with conditions of approval;
- Assisting with innovative complete streets projects related to parking and curbside management, such as developing a parklet program and reducing stormwater runoff.
- Reviewing development proposals and special use permits for compliance with parking standards and representing the City at related public meetings, including Planning Commission, Transportation Commission, Traffic and Parking Board, and City Council;
- Making recommendations to the Division Chief, Deputy Director and/or Director on often controversial development cases.
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) strives to improve the overall quality of life within the City of Alexandria through the development of a superior infrastructure. In order to contribute to the physical, social and economic growth of the City of Alexandria, the T&ES employee team provides services of the highest quality in the areas of engineering, environmental quality, traffic control, transit, construction, inspection and surveying, street, sewer and fire hydrant maintenance, and refuse and recycling collection.
Minimum & Additional Requirements
Four-Year College Degree from an accredited college or university in regional, or urban Planning, or a closely related field such as Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Public Administration, Physical Sciences, Historic Preservation, or Environmental Studies and five years of relevant planning experience or two years and a Master's Degree; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
A Master's Degree with more than two years of relevant parking planning or management experience in a role responsible for complex projects and reports in the public sector or in private consulting. Experience with public outreach. Appropriate professional certification such as AICP, PE, RLA, LEED AP, RA.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to criminal background.
","@type":"JobPosting","responsibilities":"","validThrough":"2018-02-25T05:00:00Z","title":"Parking Planning/Development Review Urban Planner III","datePosted":"2018-01-26T20:28:22Z"}
Parking Planning/Development Review Urban Planner III
City of Alexandria